Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Extraterrestrial Faith

On our drive to Willie's 3rd birthday party this past weekend, something mysterious happened.  We had just pulled off the highway into a small Wisconsin town.  It was dusk, and the moon was full.  I happened to glance up into the sky ahead and saw two bright white lights.  They looked like stars, but were low enough to be airplanes.  They weren't moving.  Brad must have noticed them too because he was pointing at the windshield with two fingers, as if giving the peace sign.  I followed his gaze back into the sky just as one of the lights disappeared.  Seconds later, the other one vanished too.  Just like that they were gone, leaving a black, empty sky.  Hmm, I thought, that was odd.  I looked over at Brad.  His eyes were as big as the moon!  "We just saw UFO's!" he exclaimed.  "No way...it must be a cloud passing in front of those lights," I replied.  "There are no clouds!" Brad replied.  "What was that?!  What were those?!"

I started laughing.  To be honest, I was excited too!  It was weird.  It was suspicious, odd, extraordinary if you will.  We've definitely heard plenty of ghost & UFO stories while living in Wisconsin, it comes with the territory I guess.  But now, it seems we may have our own mysterious siting to share!  We started with a little bit of faith, we got a little glimpse of light, and now we were giddy believers..sharing our story with everyone!

A few days later, after all the birthday shenanigans, I started thinking again about the lights in the sky.  I wondered if anyone had believed our story.  I stared up into the night sky, wanting to see something special again.  However, all I saw were the stars.  Hundreds and millions of stars.  Of course...the stars!  Right there above me, above all of us...in their beauty, mystery, and vastness was God.  Those stars ARE the something special.  They are little reminders of something bigger, something mysterious, something special and amazing!  As excited as I was to share our UFO story, I should be even more excited to share my Christian story.  I should be shouting, "It's real!  It's the truth!  I saw for myself and I know without a doubt!  He lives!  God is REAL!"

But, I don't always do that.  At least, I didn't.  I didn't always shout from the rooftops about His love in my heart.  I got scared.  I got intimidated.  I was afraid of what others might think.  They might laugh at me.  I might lose friends.  I was unsure of myself.  Plus, it wasn't my job anyway.  Sure, I was a Christian, but wasn't it up to the pastors & priests & those crazy church people to do the screaming?  I thought I could go on with my life as a subtle Christian.  

Not anymore.

I have seen the light.  I know it to be true and real and I want to share it with you!  The light of God's love shines on us every single day.  Every single second.  It shines so bright, and so good.  It's everlasting...for eternity!  Just as the sun rises, regardless of our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors...so does God's love beam down from the heavens upon each one of us.  Individually.  Personally.  For you my friend, unto you my neighbor, into your heart my brother.

No longer can I hide in the shadows.  I've stepped into the sunshine and it feels so wonderful....especially now, especially on my bald head.  So, I will share my faith with you, regardless of what you may think or feel or say.  I'm not scared.  God wants me to, and He's got my back.  I know this by the twinkling in the sky.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:16

Extraterrestrial: coming from or existing outside the planet earth
Faith: strong belief or trust in someone or something
(www.merriam-webster.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment